8 Dos and Don’ts for a Healthy Pregnancy
When pregnant, follow some simple guidelines for the health of both you and your baby.
When you're pregnant, being healthy isn't just important for you–it's important for your baby, too. Here are a few dos and don'ts for a healthy pregnancy.
1. Do get prenatal care. Checkups, trimester screenings, ultrasounds, glucose tests and other procedures can help keep both mom and baby healthy.
2. Do take a prenatal vitamin. When you're pregnant, your daily requirement for certain nutrients increases. Taking a prenatal vitamin is a good way to help make sure you're getting the nutrients you and your growing baby need.
3. Do eat well. Eating for two means that what you're eating should contribute to you and your baby's health and well-being. It does not mean that you should eat twice as much. Eat a balanced diet, and talk with your doctor about how many additional calories you should consume.
4. Don't eat certain things. Some foods are considered unsafe during pregnancy. They include raw eggs, sushi, deli meats (unless heated until steaming), fish high in mercury (such as swordfish, king mackerel, and shark), smoked seafood, soft cheeses, and unpasteurized juice or milk.
5. Do exercise. Get your doctor's approval before beginning an exercise program, and avoid contact sports, unstable footing, over-exerting yourself and other potentially harmful situations.
6. Don't smoke. The American Lung Association estimates that smoking while pregnant is the cause of approximately 25 percent of low-birth weight babies, 15 percent of preterm deliveries and 10 percent of infant deaths.
7. Don't drink alcohol. Alcohol can be detrimental to your developing baby. There is no amount of alcohol that is known to be safe to consume while pregnant. Talk with your doctor about any questions in regard to drinking alcohol while pregnant.
8. Do talk with your doctor. Every pregnancy is unique, so be sure to talk with your doctor about any concerns.
To learn more about having a healthy pregnancy and Medical Center of Lewisville's labor and delivery services, visit us online or call 972-420-1085.